Tuesday 26 June 2012

NBW - Reasons I Heart Breastfeeding

This is second of a series of posts for National Breastfeeding Week.

I guess most people's primary reasons for breastfeeding are health ones. Studies regarding IQ levels and immunity to disease fill most NHS breastfeeding literature. But these aren't my reasons. Like most things in my life my reasoning is split between the practical and the emotional.

First the practicalities. It makes my life that much easier. I don't have to worry about considering how long I'll be out and how many feeds baby will have. I don't have to get up in the night to mix up a bottle. I can travel superlight. And I got my figure back super-fast after both pregnancies. Bonus.

There are of course emotional reasons. It really helped me to reconnect with Big Muddle after my return to work. It, especially first time around, made me feel Very Important and totally in awe of my body. I love the fact that women's bodies are so clever. With both girls the connection breastfeeding has given has been immense.

Nothing suits all people or all families. But I breastfeed. And I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment